This drink is so healthy that I’m prefacing with a nutritious fact; the average person who requires 2000 calories per day should eat approximately 2 cups of fruit and 2 1/2 cups of vegetables between morning and night. That’s not a huge deal for some people, but others find it tough to incorporate veg on a daily basis (no, potatoes are not vegetables). I like to start my mornings with this green smoothie because by the time I leave for work I’ve already consumed over half my daily required intake of veg, I’ve cleansed my digestive system and I literally feel like a million bucks.
Kale: Notoriously trending super-food. This disease fighting leaf is known to detoxify the body thanks to high levels of fibre. It’s also packed with vitamin A, vitamin C and Omega-3 fatty acids, resulting in increased eye health, hair and nail growth and anti-inflammatory benefits.
Spinach: Packed with iron, spinach helps to improve blood quality, restore energy and maintain bone health. This green has so many important vitamins and minerals that I’m not even going to list them all out for you, but take a peek here.
Lemon: Lemons are a rich source of nutrients like calcium, potassium, vitamin C and pectin fibre. They help flush the digestive system of toxins and balance the body’s pH levels. On top of using lemon in your smoothies, I highly recommend drinking warm water with lemon every morning to kick-start your daily health.
Cinnamon: Loaded with anti-oxidants, cinnamon is insanely good for the health of your body. As an anti-bacterial agent, it helps stabilize blood sugars, aids in the prevention of cancer and arthritis and relieves symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome.
- 1 cup of fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 cup of chopped fresh kale (remove the stem-bits)
- 1/2 cup of original or vanilla almond milk
- 1 banana
- 1/2 cup of freshly chopped pineapple
- 1/2 cup diced green apple
- pinch of cinnamon
- squeeze of fresh lemon
- Protein: this recipe works well with protein powder or 1 tablespoon of all-natural almond butter, if desired
- I like to place the spinach in first to avoid any unnecessary mess or spills (especially if you’re using a smaller mixer like the Magic Bullet)
- Add in banana, pineapple and apple
- Add in almond milk
- Add in cinnamon and lemon
- Drink with straw for best experience
Note: If placed in an air-tight container (mason jars work well), you can store this recipe in the refrigerator overnight and enjoy for breakfast in the morning.