Goodbye salsa, hello layer dip. Why commit to one flavour when you can have seven? This dip is oddly refreshing and extremely satisfying, deeming it a must-have for any munch occasion. Influenced by the dip-buffet often witnessed at Super Bowl parties, I decided it was time to combine the bold tastes of the snack table into one hearty dish.
Besides taste, this is a great snack to assemble because of its flexibility; you can add or omit whatever fresh ingredients you please. For example, refried beans can replace the guacamole for a different texture and overall result. Don’t like spicy? Hold the jalapeños. Craving extra olives? Be my guest. If there’s one ingredient I deem mandatory, it’s the cream cheese.
GLAZED Seven Layer Dip is summer-patio-party / winter-weekend approved. Pair with beer and comradery.
Your tortilla chips will thank you.
- 250 grams of cream cheese (regular or light)
- 3 tablespoons of sour cream
- 1 cup of salsa (spicy if that’s your thing)
- 1 cup of guacamole
- 1 jalapeño pepper
- ¾ cup of chopped green onion
- 1 ripe tomato
- ¼ green pepper
- 2 tablespoons of pre-sliced black olives
- 2 cups of shredded aged cheddar cheese (or mild)
- In a bowl, mix the cream cheese and sour cream with a spoon until mixture is smooth and creamy
- In a separate bowl or dish (this should be the dish that you plan to serve your dip in), spread the cream cheese & sour cream mixture with a spatula or spoon to create a flat layer as your base
- In the same dish, evenly spread the guacamole. You can use a pre-packaged guacamole from the market or make your own using fresh ingredients; my GLAZED guacamole recipe is coming soon, but in the mean time, you can find several delicious recipes on the internet
- Spread the salsa on top of the guacamole
- Dice the tomato, green onion, green pepper and jalapeño, and sprinkle across the salsa layer. Save a handful of each ingredient to use as garnish in step 7
- Evenly distribute the shredded cheese to cover entire dish or as desired. I prefer to use aged cheddar, but mild or marble work just as well.
- Garnish the middle of the dish with diced tomato, green onion, jalapeño and sliced black olives (pictured above)
- Cover and refrigerate for 6-12 hours to let the flavours marinate and mingle
- Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes prior to serving
- Enjoy with tortilla chips or toasted pita